Monday, October 5, 2009

The Lipstick Effect

I have fallen to the powers of the lipstick effect. Millions of women trim budgets during recessions and yet cosmetics sales still rise. Jean Patou’s fragrance Joy was the world’s most expensive perfume and sales thrived during the depression. One would think that such purchases are particularly frivolous in times of economic hardship. However, it is now, when I am depriving myself of everything from dining out to manicures to movies, that the one gift I can give to myself is to feel beautiful.

Thus, when I found myself in Santa Monica after a meeting was cancelled at the last minute, I made my way down to the Promenade and into Sephora. It wasn’t that I actually needed anything other than a place to pass an hour until rush hour traffic calmed down, but as I perused the fall lines, I was drawn to Urban Decay cosmetics. Their packaging and advertisements captured my attention, but the vegan products inspired me to start trying makeup on. Now, to be fair, not all of their cosmetics are vegan; however, all of their products are animal cruelty free. Urban Decay uses plant derivatives everywhere they can and they are continually seeking ways to eliminate animal byproducts from the remainder.

Urban Decay’s 24/7 glide-on eye pencil in Zero is divine. It is smooth and creamy and stays on for hours without smudging and the color is the most intense, rich black I’ve discovered. The Ink for Eyes, a cream eyeliner with the versatility to do either classic and thin or smoky, is another of my favorites. I also picked up the lipstick in Confession. It is incredibly moisturizing and I love the color, but at $22 a tube I do wish it stayed on a little longer.

My mother used to tell me to put on lipstick even if I wasn’t 100% simply because it would make me feel better. I think it is wonderful advice. Carry yourself with dignity and grace during difficult times, put your best face forward and, as always, remember to smile.

*Urban Decay products are available at: http://www.urbandecay.com/
**For the record: While I do my best to make conscious decisions regarding animal products, I am not vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment