Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Why We Are Green

Several years ago I was a director for a non-profit organization that worked to educate the public about the benefits of embryonic stem cell research. It was the highlight of my life. I loved waking up every day feeling like I was doing something that would make a difference. Juvenile diabetes has always been my particular cause and I'm still hoping that the research will result in a cure.

The president of the organization became a dear friend of mine. He is an eccentric genius with a huge heart. Every winter his mother, a sweet octogenarian who seemed to step from the pages of Noel Coward, came to visit from Chicago. She once said to me, "When you get to my age, you have to have younger friends so you don't outlive them all." Thus, she and I spent countless lunches and dinners together, took the occasional shopping excursion and lingered for hours by the pool.

How does this relate to being green? These are the children whom will live with our decisions and actions. They are the reason we are green. They are the reason we conserve and recycle. They deserve the opportunity to outlive us. I hope you will take a moment to visit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation at http://www.jdrf.org/. If I can cut my food and entertainment budget to $50 per week, I am positive you can find a way to cut a few dollars from yours to invest in our children.


No comments:

Post a Comment